I'm going to Barack Obama's inauguration. I've spent eight years, one month, one week and one day waiting for this. (But who's counting?) However, I am looking for suggestions for a respectful way to protest the participation of Rick Warren. As a lifelong Episcopalian, I really don't want to engage in an anti-religious protest. While my friends want me to throw shoes, that ain't gonna happen. Ideally, I'd like a way to protest Warren's participation that won't undercut this great day, a way that can be picked up (and publicized) by folks on the Mall.
Faithful Obama Girl
Whatever you do, FOG, don't do those things you, um, already said you don't want to do. No one should boo or throw shoes or do anything disruptive. The American Taliban love to pretend that they're the persecuted ones, and booing or throwing shoes or even just turning your back on Warren — the gay-hatin', right-wing Christian bigot Barack Obama invited to give the invocation at his inauguration — will invariably be spun as an attack on people of faith, a vicious assault on prayer itself, the moral equivalent of a syphilitic rent boy pissing directly into the open mouth of a crying baby Jesus.
Instead, borrow a page from those long-suffering gay Catholics. To register their displeasure with the pope's obsession with gay sex, some gay Catholics wear rainbow sashes to mass. Perhaps folks disappointed by Warren's participation could coordinate a similar sartorial protest? Everyone wear a button with that rainbow-striped version of the Obama logo? Wave little rainbow flags during Warren's remarks? Head to the Mall in nothing but rubber chaps?
And speaking of Rick Warren, pastor of Saddleback Church and author of The Purpose Driven Life … My life's purpose over the last week was reading thousands of proposed new definitions for "saddlebacking" sent in by my readers. As with the new definition of santorum crafted by Savage Love readers ("the frothy mix of lube and fecal matter that is sometimes a byproduct of anal sex"), the new definition of "saddlebacking" has to be some act that 1) needs a name but doesn't already have one and 2) is naughty enough to discomfort, say, a Rev. Warren, but something that actual people might actually do because that's the only way the actual word will actually get used.
So I've disqualified definitions that were too literal ("putting an actual saddle on someone's actual back and actually riding them"), too gross ("to crap on someone's back and then sit on it, moving forward and back while making horse-riding-related noises like ‘giddyap!' and ‘whoa!'"), too complicated ("one person on all fours with a strap-on strapped to their midsection, a second person riding said strap-on and a third person hitting the first person from behind while holding on for dear life/giving a hand job to the second person") or too bitter ("when you give someone some kind of basic human right, like marriage, and then take it away again after a few months"). Here are the proposed definitions that made the cut:
1) Logically, if "barebacking" means having butt sex with no condom, then "saddlebacking" should mean having butt sex with a condom.
2) Saddleback (verb): to submit someone to any kind of humiliating, unreciprocal sex act, consented to by passive partner due to submissive/masochistic tendencies, desire for approval or other darker motive. E.g., "I don't know why Obama is letting Rick Warren saddleback him into presiding over his inauguration."
3) The saddleback position involves placing your lubed dick between the butt cheeks of your partner. The saddleback is a nice compromise when your partner won't allow anal entry.
4) To saddleback is to rail against gay sex in public while secretly indulging in the same in private. Ted Haggard? Total saddlebacker. Larry Craig? Saddlebacker. Rick Warren? Probably a saddlebacker.
5) "Saddlebacking" should be the term for the phenomenon of Christian teens engaging in unprotected anal sex in order to preserve their virginities. "After attending the Purity Ball, Heather and Bill saddlebacked all night because she's saving herself for marriage."
6) Saddleback (verb): to ejaculate on the back of a partner at the culmination of doggy-style anal sex.
7) Before being invited to give the invocation, Mr. Warren was most noted for his book The Purpose Driven Life. Therefore, "to saddleback" is to fuck with a purpose, i.e., to procreate. A heterosexual couple asked if they're trying to have children could reply, "No, we're not ready for kids yet, but we'll probably start saddlebacking next year."
OK, Savage Love readers, "saddlebacking" is in your hands now. Vote for your favorite definition from the list of nominees by sending an e-mail to [email protected]. You must include "saddleback" and the number of your preferred definition in the subject line to have your vote count ("saddleback: 1," "saddleback: 2," etc.). Vote now![email protected]
We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Orlando Weekly. Letters should be a minimum of 150 words, refer to content that has appeared on Orlando Weekly, and must include the writer's full name, address, and phone number for verification purposes. No attachments will be considered. Writers of letters selected for publication will be notified via email. Letters may be edited and shortened for space.
Email us at [email protected].
Support Local Journalism.
Join the Orlando Weekly Press Club
Local journalism is information. Information is power. And we believe everyone deserves access to accurate independent coverage of their community and state. Our readers helped us continue this coverage in 2020, and we are so grateful for the support.
Help us keep this coverage going in 2021. Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing membership pledge, your support goes to local-based reporting from our small but mighty team.
Join the Orlando Weekly Press Club for as little as $5 a month.
Subscribe now to get the latest news delivered right to your inbox.