Located at 76 S. Washington, the home was built in 1925 and is just one of the original three designed by famed architect Dwight James Baum and built by Owen Burns for the Ringling Estates development, according to state records. While experts are unsure exactly who the early tenants were (it's rumored to be the former home of John Ringling's mother), many believe Ringling's only sister, Ida Ringling North occupied the estate between 1927 to 1932.
Besides the fact that the home remained under the family's ownership until 1933, the house actually has a few convincing clues that lean towards North possibly being a primary resident. According to Sarasota real estate historians, an undated and unsigned handwritten note in the Abstract of Title actually mentions North and her sons, and in the 1980s the removal of a stucco finish uncovered circus-themed paintings on the walls of the dining room.
What is known, is that the home was occupied by George Schueler, who was married to John Ringling's sister-in-law Dulcey, for four years. The Mediterranean Revival estate still retains much of its historic splendor, and was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1997.
As of late, the three bedroom, four bathroom home, which is only footsteps from shops and restaurants in St. Armands Circle, has witnessed some welcomed upgrades, like a new kitchen, a heated pool, and an outside kitchen and bar area. The home also features a detached studio apartment, and a rooftop patio.
The listing agent is Charles Buky of Coldwell Banker.
All photos via Zillow.com