1321 N. Mills Ave.
"The great question that has never been answered, and which I have not yet been able to answer, despite my 30 years of research into the feminine soul, is 'What does a woman want?'" Sigmund Freud admitted toward the end of his career. What a dummy. He should have asked the Guesthouse, because they know: a clean, flatteringly lit ladies' room with gorgeous wallpaper to make your half-buzzed selfies extra-slammin'. Duh.
Mathers Social Gathering
30 S. Magnolia Ave.
Downtown's poshest newcomer this year is undoubtedly Mathers Social Gathering. Located on the third floor of the historic Mathers building – one of the few remaining downtown buildings that predate the fire of 1884 – the space is decked out in sumptuous furnishings, photos of Old Orlando, and even a turn-of-the-century-style general store tucked into a corner. Here, you can plop into an armchair with a craft cocktail in one hand while regaling your friends with stories of Orlando's past – either real or made-up – while sitting underneath the oversized U.S. flag that once flew at Tinker Field – as long as you adhere to the dress code, of course.
Burton's Bar closes, then reopens as Burton's Bar
801 E. Washington St.
When Burton's Bar closed in February of this year, there was much wailing and gnashing of teeth as it seemed that Thornton Park's cheapest and friendliest neighborhood bar was to be no more. But while we waited to find out what the developer vultures that circle the city would do to the beloved casual boozer, the owners of downtown staples the Lodge and the Woods were making moves to take over the space. And when they announced that they'd not only be taking over Burton's but keeping it pretty much the same, Thorntonites rejoiced, comforted by the knowledge that they'd still be able to dig into a bucket of reasonably priced domestics while chilling on one of the best people-watching perches – Burton's patio – indefinitely.
1. Will's Pub, 1042 N. Mills Ave., willspub.org
2. The Guesthouse, 1321 N. Mills Ave., 407-630-6574
3. Southern Nights, 375 S. Bumby Ave., 407-412-5039, facebook.com/southernnightsorlando
1. Sportstown Billiards, 2414 E. Robinson St., 407-894-6258, sportstownbilliards.com
2. Trick Shots, multiple locations, trickshotsbilliards.com
3. Spatz, 1025 W. Fairbanks Ave., Winter Park, 407-647-3354
1. Jen Harton, Lil Indies, 1036 N. Mills Ave., facebook.com/lilindiesorlando
2. Dave Merkli, Tanqueray's Bar, 100 S. Orange Ave., 407-649-8540, facebook.com/tanqueraysbar
3. Lee Courtley, Independent Bar, 70 N. Orange Ave., 407-839-0457, facebook.com/independentbar
1. Mac n Cheese at Independent Bar, 70 N. Orange Ave., 407-839-0457, facebook.com/independentbar
2. Shake N Bass, facebook.com/shakenbass
3. Girl the Party, girltheparty.com
1. Redlight Redlight, 2810 Corrine Drive, 407-893-9832, facebook.com/redlightredlight
2. World of Beer, 431 E. Central Blvd., 407-270-5541, worldofbeer.com
3. Thirsty Topher, 601 Virginia Drive, 407-491-4342
1. Lil Indies, 1036 N. Mills Ave., facebook.com/lilindiesorlando
2. Hanson's Shoe Repair, 27 E. Pine St., 407-476-9446, facebook.com/hansonsshoerepair
3. The Guesthouse, 1321 N. Mills Ave., 407-630-6574