Propagation's Yelp Page
While Propagation's midcentury modern decor and devotion to sourcing their coffee from top roasters like Lineage gave Mills 50 caffeine-hounds plenty of hope for the little shop, it was not to be. The storefront closed its doors at the end of May, reportedly so that the owners could focus on selling their restored furniture to clients with deeper pockets than those in service industry wage-plagued Central Florida. Unfortunately, this also sounded the death knell for new additions to their Yelp page, where the owners had no compunctions about responding to negative reviews with sarcasm, insults and over-the-top dickishness. Needless to say, it made for great reading. Just not at Propagation, where WiFi was verboten. So while we'll miss being able to get a mazagran and being told not to touch the precious precious credenzas, we're going to miss seeing Propagation's inversion of the principle that "the customer is always right" even more.
Michael Livera at Kiwi Camera Service
1880 Kentucky Ave., Winter Park, 407-539-2731, kiwicameraservice.com
The general population of Orlando might not know that a certified camera-repair genius lives among us, but plenty of us who are photographically inclined are more than aware. Michael Livera is the man to see if your camera body or lens is malfunctioning (or simply needs a tune-up), not just for lucky locals but for photogs all over the country – Orlando pro shooters are in and out of the door, and equipment arrives by mail daily, keeping Livera head-down in his shop. But he comes up for air a few times a year to host a swap and sale, where you might find or trade for any manner of prized photographic item, from a 70-year-old Rolleiflex to a gently used light meter. No fear if you're a newbie, either; Livera is always willing to help educate an inexperienced enthusiast.
460 N. Orlando Ave., Winter Park, 407-618-1723, also 451 E. Altamonte Drive, Altamonte Springs, 407-670-1400, soma.com
Girls with big girls, Soma Intimates has your back (literally). If you think the only place to get a supportive bra that's also pretty is in your imagination, think again. More than 75 percent of women are wearing the wrong bra size, it's said, which can strain your back muscles and also your patience when you are trying to wear a cute dress without having grandma lingerie peeking out. Soma's fit specialists will get that rack properly stacked in the right cup and band size, no prob – several styles are even designed to minimize the dreaded "bra bulge."
John Morgan's dog, Emma the German Shepherd
Before we got a glimpse of the Morgans' German Shepherd, Emma, we legitimately thought John & Co. were just a bunch of litigation robots. Not so! The pooch served to humanize the group (Ultima Morgan even filmed a follow-up TV spot specifying that Emma was her dog, not John's – family drama!) and we'd be happy to see her more often. You could say we're "For the Puppy."
1. Fairvilla Megastore, 1740 N. Orange Blossom Trail, 407-425-6005, fairvilla.com
2. Premier Couples Superstore, 5009 S. Orange Blossom Trail, 407-857-2050, premiercouples.net
3. Fairvilla's Sexy Things, 7535 International Drive, 407-826-1627, fairvillasexythings.com
1. Renninger's Antique Center, 20651 U.S. Highway 441, Mount Dora, 352-383-8393, renningers.net
2. Adjectives Market, multiple locations, adjstyle.com
3. Orange Tree Antiques Mall, 853 S. Orlando Ave., Winter Park, 407-644-4547, orangetreeantiquesmallfl.com
1. Floyd's 99 Barbershop, multiple locations, floydsbarbershop.com
2. Liberty Barber Shop, 49 N. Primrose Drive, 407-590-9330, libertybarbershop.com
3. Jusincredible Cutz, 2413 E. South St., 407-228-0080, jusincrediblecutz.com
1. Honey Comb Hair and Makeup Studio, 1807 Winter Park Road, 407-622-1558, honeycombhairorlando.com
2. Spa810, 125 N. Orlando Ave., Winter Park, 407-790-7876, spa810.com
3. Eclips Salon and Spa, 819 Virginia Drive, 407-228-1178, eclipssaloninc.com
1. Orange Cycle, 2204 Edgewater Drive, 407-422-5552, orangecycleorlando.com
2. Ragin' Cajun Bike Shop, 1809 S. Orange Ave., 407-999-9821, ragincajunbikeshop.com
3. Kyle's Bike Shop, 203 N. Primrose Drive, 407-228-7088, kylesbikeshop.net