Voci Dance's Paint Chips
One of our very favorite shows of Orlando Fringe 2016 was Paint Chips, based on Ken Nordine's 1960s spoken-word classic, Colors. Local dance troupe Voci choreographed dozens of Nordine's short odes to individual colors, preserving the cool, jazzy wit of the originals and imbuing it with their own sprightliness, poignance and intelligence. You may feel that you were colorblind before you embarked on this psychedelic journey.
Last March, the Art & History Museums – Maitland's monthlong Art 31 project brought works by a number of internationally acclaimed artists (including Dale Chihuly, Lorrie Fredette and Paige Smith) to the Orlando area. However, nothing topped Jason Hackenwerth's biological balloon sculpture costumes for sheer grin-inducing WTF-ness. You can say they were abstract forms or alien fish; we could only see giant walking naughty bits, and we loved them for it.
The on-ramps are better prospects than the off-ramps, as if merging depends on purging. Outside the I-4 Ultimate construction fences, there's a no-man's-land of heaved purses, flung coolers, thrown books, car parts, children's toys ... the Orlampa Corridor's forgotten detritus, a fascinating linear treasure trove that's constantly changing. You'll need both a driver and a spotter, but the driver needs a fighter pilot's nerves and reaction time. Turn sharp eyes toward any area where they've stopped mowing, and look for piles. At the west side of Kaley, for example, we recently found brass engine parts and a rusty aqua chaise lounge. At Princeton's little westbound on-ramp: an Encyclopedia Britannica – that rare Volume XII – and a dog dish. All fodder for the muse.
1. Blue Star
2. Patrick Greene
3. Denna Beena
1. Orlando International Fringe Theatre Festival, orlandofringe.org
2. Winter Park Sidewalk Art Festival, wpsaf.org
3. Artlando, artlando.com
1. Thornton 2nd Thursday Wine & Art Walk, thorntonparkdistrict.com
2. Sanford Alive After 5, facebook.com/aliveafter5
3. 1st Thursdays at Orlando Museum of Art, omart.org
1. VarieTease, thevenueorlando.com
2. Corsets & Cuties, corsetsandcuties.com
3. Rock Hard Revue, rockhardrevue.com
1. SAK Comedy Lab, 29 S. Orange Ave., 407-648-0001, sakcomedylab.com
2. Improv Orlando, 9101 International Drive, 407-480-5233, theimprovorlando.com
3. The Tumbleweed Comedy Tour, tomanddan.com