Thursday, May 21, 2020

NOAA forecasters are predicting a busy Atlantic Hurricane Season this year

Posted By on Thu, May 21, 2020 at 1:22 PM

click to enlarge IMAGE VIA NOAA
  • Image via NOAA
With warmer than average water temperatures and a weaker El Niño on deck, experts are predicting an "above-normal" 2020 Atlantic Hurricane Season.

The 2020 season, which officially starts on June 1 and runs until Nov. 30, is expected to have 13-19 named storms, 6-10 hurricanes, and 3-6 major hurricanes of Category 3 strength or greater, said the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) on Thursday.

The annual report calls for a 60% chance of an above average season, a 30% chance of a near-normal season and only a 10% chance of a below-normal season.
click to enlarge IMAGE VIA NOAA
  • Image via NOAA
“As Americans focus their attention on a safe and healthy reopening of our country, it remains critically important that we also remember to make the necessary preparations for the upcoming hurricane season,” said Secretary of Commerce Wilbur Ross in the report.

“Just as in years past, NOAA experts will stay ahead of developing hurricanes and tropical storms and provide the forecasts and warnings we depend on to stay safe.”
Though the official start of the season has yet to kick off, last weekend saw the first named storm when Tropical Storm Arthur formed near the Bahamas.

In 2019, Florida also experienced an above-normal hurricane season, with 18 named storms, six hurricanes and three major hurricanes. Some of the more memorable storms included Category 5 Dorian, Category 5 Lorenzo and Category 3 Humberto.

You can read the full NOAA hurricane season prediction report here.
click to enlarge IMAGE VIA NOAA
  • Image via NOAA
This story originally appeared in our sister paper Creative Loafing Tampa Bay.
Please follow CDC guidelines and Orange County advisories to stay safe, and please support this free publication. Our small but mighty team is working tirelessly to bring you news on how coronavirus is affecting Central Florida. Please consider making a one-time or monthly donation. Every little bit helps.

Tags: , , , , ,

We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Orlando Weekly. Letters should be a minimum of 150 words, refer to content that has appeared on Orlando Weekly, and must include the writer's full name, address, and phone number for verification purposes. No attachments will be considered. Writers of letters selected for publication will be notified via email. Letters may be edited and shortened for space.

Email us at

Orlando Weekly works for you, and your support is essential.

Our small but mighty local team works tirelessly to bring you high-quality, uncensored news and cultural coverage of Central Florida.

Unlike many newspapers, ours is free – and we'd like to keep it that way, because we believe, now more than ever, everyone deserves access to accurate, independent coverage of their community.

Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing pledge, your support helps keep Orlando’s true free press free.


Never miss a beat

Sign Up Now

Subscribe now to get the latest news delivered right to your inbox.

Read the Digital Print Issue

March 3, 2021

View more issues


© 2021 Orlando Weekly

Website powered by Foundation