HELP US KEEP REPORTING. DONATE TO ORLANDO WEEKLY PRESS CLUB.

Friday, October 27, 2017

Trump calls for speeding up Lake Okeechobee dike work

Posted By on Fri, Oct 27, 2017 at 2:13 PM

click to enlarge PHOTO COURTESY OF NASA
  • Photo courtesy of NASA
With the White House pointing to ties between President Donald Trump and Gov. Rick Scott, repairs to the Herbert Hoover Dike around Lake Okeechobee might be done more quickly than anticipated.

Trump on Thursday directed Mick Mulvaney, the chief of the White House Office of Management and Budget, to accelerate the work.



“The administration, working closely with Florida Gov. Rick Scott, will now plan to expedite work at the project,” the White House said in a news release late Thursday.

Scott quickly thanked the president in a tweet. The news release didn't outline costs or timelines for the work, which is intended to allow the lake to retain more water without causing a threat to surrounding communities.

Trump previously set aside $82 million for the work in his proposed 2018 budget.

The remaining work has been projected to cost up to $930 million.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers since 2001 has spent more than $870 million on projects designed to reduce the risk of “catastrophic failure” to the aging 143-mile earthen dam that also features levees, hurricane gates and other water-control structures, according to the Army Corps.

The Legislature included $50 million in this year's Florida budget to help speed the Army Corps repairs.

State lawmakers also approved an $800 million plan spearheaded by Senate President Joe Negron, R-Stuart, to start work on a reservoir south of the lake.

The Senate plan — which depends on federal matching funds — allows Florida to bond the money as a way to speed the reservoir's construction. The intent is to move water south from the lake, rather than to the east and west when the lake's water level gets too high.

Treasure Coast residents blame polluted water releases from Lake Okeechobee for algae outbreaks in surrounding waterways.

The White House announcement said the dike work “is still more than a decade away from completion.”

Scott has pushed to move up the completion by 2022.

“This April, Gov. Rick Scott spoke with President Donald Trump regarding the importance of fixing the federally operated Herbert Hoover Dike,” the governor's office said late Thursday. “Following their conversation, President Trump committed to fixing the dike.”

The ongoing repair work started in 2007, according to the White House release.

“This project is important to the state of Florida and we are honored to play a role in the funding, and now acceleration, of this essential infrastructure initiative,” Mulvaney said in the White House release.


Tags: , , , ,

We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Orlando Weekly. Letters should be a minimum of 150 words, refer to content that has appeared on Orlando Weekly, and must include the writer's full name, address, and phone number for verification purposes. No attachments will be considered. Writers of letters selected for publication will be notified via email. Letters may be edited and shortened for space.

Email us at feedback@orlandoweekly.com.

Orlando Weekly works for you, and your support is essential.

Our small but mighty local team works tirelessly to bring you high-quality, uncensored news and cultural coverage of Central Florida.

Unlike many newspapers, ours is free – and we'd like to keep it that way, because we believe, now more than ever, everyone deserves access to accurate, independent coverage of their community.

Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing pledge, your support helps keep Orlando’s true free press free.

Newsletters

Never miss a beat

Sign Up Now

Subscribe now to get the latest news delivered right to your inbox.

Read the Digital Print Issue

December 2, 2020

View more issues

Calendar

© 2020 Orlando Weekly

Website powered by Foundation