VOTE NOW FOR THE BEST OF ORLANDO® 2021!

Tuesday, January 26, 2016

A hidden safe was found at Pablo Escobar's Miami Beach mansion

Posted By on Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 3:50 PM

click image PHOTO VIA MIAMI HERALD/TWITTER
  • Photo via Miami Herald/Twitter
A safe that may have belonged to the Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar was recently unearthed during the demolition of his former Miami Beach mansion. 

At about 11 a.m. on Monday, Jan. 25, construction worker Miguel Mato was operating an excavator when he found a metal combination-locked safe hidden in the concrete foundation of a wall, according to CBS News.  



The new owners of the house, Chicken Kitchen founder Christian de Berdouare and his wife Jennifer Valoppi, said they would take the 2-foot-by-2-foot safe somewhere safe and open it shortly, BBC reported. 

According to BBC, another safe was found by construction workers shortly after demolition work began last week, but it disappeared before anyone could examine it.

The mansion owners — who are legally entitled to all the safe's contents — had the second safe strapped to a flatbed truck and towed to a secure location, where they intend to have it opened Tuesday, Jan. 26, says CBS News. 

Escobar, nicknamed "El Patrón" or "The Boss," bought the property in March 1980 for $762,500, according to Miami-Dade County public records, and de Berdouare acquired the mansion for $9.65 million in 2014.

The Miami Beach property will be under 24-hour security until all rubble is removed.

Tags: , , , , ,

We welcome readers to submit letters regarding articles and content in Orlando Weekly. Letters should be a minimum of 150 words, refer to content that has appeared on Orlando Weekly, and must include the writer's full name, address, and phone number for verification purposes. No attachments will be considered. Writers of letters selected for publication will be notified via email. Letters may be edited and shortened for space.

Email us at feedback@orlandoweekly.com.

Orlando Weekly works for you, and your support is essential.

Our small but mighty local team works tirelessly to bring you high-quality, uncensored news and cultural coverage of Central Florida.

Unlike many newspapers, ours is free – and we'd like to keep it that way, because we believe, now more than ever, everyone deserves access to accurate, independent coverage of their community.

Whether it's a one-time acknowledgement of this article or an ongoing pledge, your support helps keep Orlando’s true free press free.

Newsletters

Never miss a beat

Sign Up Now

Subscribe now to get the latest news delivered right to your inbox.

Read the Digital Print Issue

April 14, 2021

View more issues

Calendar

© 2021 Orlando Weekly

Website powered by Foundation