In a no cost contract with the city, Zipcar
, who has actually been in metro Orlando fora few years now, will now operate out of 6 designated spaces in the downtown Orlando area.
Zipcar's new locations will be located at:
- Ivanhoe Village District, on North Orange Avenue, south of East New Hampshire Street
- Orange County Courthouse, on South Orange Avenue, north of East Amelia Street
- Lake Eola, on Broadway Avenue at Robinson Street
- Lake Eola, on North Eola Drive, south of Washington Street
- Thornton Park, on South Eola Drive, south of Central Boulevard
- City Hall/CNL Garage, off Boone Avenue
Florida Department of Transportation’s reThink program, also helped secure 2 spaces at the SunRail station in Winter Park, and 4 spaces at hotels near Disney Springs.
Zipcar isn't the first car-sharing program
to share Orlando's streets. In September of 2015, after only two years of operation, Hertz24/7 shut down its 9 Orlando locations
, citing scant usage and an overall shift in the company's focus.
The Orlando and Winter Park Zipcar fleets will decent variety of makes and models, including a Dodge Caravan. a BMW X1, and a Ford Focus Hatchback.
Membership information is available at Zipcar's website
or their app.
In conjunction with the Florida Department of Transportation’s reThink program, the City of Orlando announced a new partnership with an hourly car-sharing program Wednesday morning, Feb.3.