Friday, January 15, 2016
Black Rooster Taqueria to open "second week of February"
By Faiyaz Kara
on Fri, Jan 15, 2016 at 4:56 PM
This won't necessarily make the wait any easier, but they shared photos of some of their menu items and, well, now I'm craving tacos. Here's a sampling to look forward to:
- Fish Taco: crispy beer battered and local, pickled cabbage, remoulade sauce, avocado, cilantro, radish (see photo)
- Black Rooster Asada: seared beef, applewood smoked bacon, Oaxaca cheese, chile poblano, onion, cilantro, three chile-tomato salsa
- Achiote Pork: slow-roasted pork in banana leaf, achiote, pickled onion, cilantro, habanero salsa
- Chicken Tinga: pulled roasted chicken, chipotle chile-tomato sauce, lettuce, crema fresca
- Carne Asada: seared beef, house marinade, onions, cilantro, three chile-tomato salsa
- Vegetarian: shiitake mushrooms, onion, zucchini, epazote, crema fresca
If that weren't enough, BRT will also serve sopes (corn masa cakes with toppings), ceviches, salads, various sides and brothy bowls of slow-cooked meats. Dessert offerings include tres leches cake and a chocolate-chipotle flan.
Local robot artist Randall Smith
has been commissioned to do a large painting inside the restaurant, though Juliana Calloway was mum on details. One thing's certain: It won't be a robot. "I want it to be a surprise," she said. "It's something he's never done and it looks awesome!"
One month and counting ... until then, check out their newly launched website
for more drool-worthy pics and descriptions.
Attention Mills 50 taco freaks! The wait is almost over. John and Juliana Calloway, proprietors of Black Rooster Taqueria, hope to open their much-anticipated eatery at 1323 N. Mills Ave. the "second week of February."