In the spirit of unconventional band battles (like the Pedal Challenge), a new gauntlet has been thrown to local musicians, and they're calling it "Band Bingo." Here's how it works:
- Up to 40 musicians sign up to put their names in a hat.
- Names will be drawn at random to form impromptu bands
- There are three rounds. Bands are assembled in this round and given one hour to compose songs no longer than a minute and 30 seconds long.
- Bands perform their short songs, and the winners move on to round two.
- In round two (which, frankly, sounds great), bands will perform a simple cover song in a style different from how it was originally composed (examples on the Facebook suggest alternative style examples like metal or polka).
- Winners move on to the third round. Again, bands will compose a short song, but the challenge here is that their instruments will be assigned at random.
- The best band gets paid "like a headlining act," and other participants will likely enjoy free drinks for playing.
Because there are three successive wins required within one challenge, the winning band will have performed a "hat-trick." To sign up, visit the Facebook page here. The event takes place Wednesday, Aug. 20 at Will's Pub.