1. In some places, cockroaches aren't just eaten to gross people out – they are eaten because people think they are delicious. And they can be served, sushi-style, on rice.
2. Cockroaches have been trained to salivate in response to stimuli, the same way Pavlov trained his dogs ... in other words, you can train a cockroach. Here's a video of a giant cockroach "trained" to run an agility course.
3. Some people keep giant cockroaches as pets.
4. Cockroaches can live for weeks after their heads are cut off.
5. Cockroaches do sometimes bite people, but the wounds they leave are rarely serious.
And finally, because it's after lunchtime, here are a few videos of cockroach eating contests from around the web.
Video of Edward Archibald participating in the South Florida cockroach-eating contest.
A Six Flags cockroach-eating contest:
A Fear Factor-style cockroach-eating contest, in which participants eat Madagascar hissing cockroaches in Jello:
A cockroach-eating contest at a Renaissance Festival:
Subscribe now to get the latest news delivered right to your inbox.